Only the Framework® Homebuyer Education meets Fannie Mae’s pre-purchase homeownership educational requirements for borrowers who qualify for the HomeReady loan program.*
The Framework course covers the homebuying process, including:
- Home affordability and budgeting
- Credit ratings and credit improvement
- Real estate agent selection
- Offer letters
- Home inspections
- The closing process
- Borrowers must pay a one-time fee of $75 when registering for the course.
- The course takes about 4 to 6 hours to complete.
- Borrowers receive a certificate of completion after passing the final quiz* and completing a feedback survey. Borrowers are encouraged to download this certificate and send it to their lender.
*Borrowers are allowed three attempts to pass the Final Quiz with a score of 80% or better. If they do not complete the Final Quiz in three tries, they must complete an educational review over the phone to receive their certificate. Educational reviews take about 30 minutes to complete.
Access the Framework® Homebuyer Education program through BALANCE
Click here for Instructions
- Go to balancepro.frameworkhomeownership.org
- Select Register Now and complete all required fields.The course costs $75, charged to your debit or credit card.
- Follow the prompts to begin the course.
- Download and save your certificate of completion after passing the final quiz and completing a feedback survey.* Borrowers are encouraged to download this certificate and send it to their lender.
*You are allowed three attempts to pass the Final Quiz with a score of 80% or better; if you do not complete the Final Quiz in three tries, you must complete an educational review over the phone to receive the certificate. Educational reviews take about 30 minutes to complete.
View our Flyer
Cash Flow Worksheet
*Eligible HomeReady borrowers have two other options to meet the program’s prepurchase education requirements. BALANCE, a nonprofit financial counseling agency that also hosts the Framework Homebuyer Education course, is approved for both options; for more information, please contact BALANCE directly at (800) 777-PLAN (7526).
1. If the HomeReady loan involves a Community Seconds® or down payment assistance program, the borrower may complete a homeownership education course required by those programs and provided by a Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)-approved agency. BALANCE is approved by HUD to provide this course.
2. The borrower may receive one-on-one pre-purchase housing advice from a HUD-approved nonprofit housing counseling agency, as evidenced by a signed Certificate of Completion of Pre-purchase Housing Counseling (Form 1017). BALANCE is approved to provide this counseling.